Thursday, June 26, 2008

Blog Entry9

From chapter 9: Escalating Relationships, physical beauty defined by cultural standards came to my mind. Each culture does define beauty very differently. And, it surprised me how much they differ.

In my Vietnamese culture, being “white” in skin is beauty. This light color indicates cleanness and richness. So it doesn’t matter how one looks, what matter is the white skin. I remember when I went to Vietnam for the first time in 2000; people were looking at me on the street because I am really pale. Some kids (who I didn’t know) came up to me just to touch my shoulder (it was kind of scary). What was hilarious was that my dad’s legs were paler than mine and they were really after his legs. They knew right away that we came from a foreign country.

Contrary, in my Danish culture, people like dark skin. My friends go to a tan salon once a week to get darker.

No comments: