Friday, June 6, 2008

Week 1

Let me introduce myself. My name is Phuong. I was born in Vietnam, but came to Denmark with my family when I was 4 years old. At the age of 19 I came to America to study, and now it has been 7 years since I left my family. My motto about my life is: Born in Vietnam, raised in Denmark, live in USA.
I am double majoring in International Business and Finance. Though, I have great interests in communications. If everything goes after plan, then I will graduate in the fall 2008.
Living in America without family has been the hardest, but I have nice relatives who have helped me through the years. Especially, one person: my boyfriend, who has been the biggest supporter and now part of my life. My weakness is shopping. It seems like I can never get enough of that.
After summer courses end, I will be leaving to Denmark to visit my family for a month. Yeah!!!

In identifying a concept that resonate me from the text is the different types of nonverbal communications from chapter 3. These nonverbal communications are emphasized by facial expressions, kinesics, haptics, vocalics or paralanguage, proxemics, physical appearance, chronemics, and the physical environment. I can relate to these nonverbal communications because I have experienced different types of nonverbal communications. Generally, the Vietnamese, the Europeans, and the Americans use different nonverbal communications. For instance, in using space, the Vietnamese prefer to be closer than the Danish. At home, I use the Vietnamese nonverbal communications. When I was with my friends in Denmark, I used the Danish way of nonverbal communications. Now, I have learned and adapted the American way of nonverbal communications. Therefore, nonverbal communications are definitely part of our everyday life.

1 comment:

Professor Cyborg said...

Cookie, your international life gives you an important perspective on interpersonal communication. Much of the research in this area of communication is from a western (and U.S.) perspective. Travelers often forget that nonverbal messages as well as verbal messages vary from culture to culture.